Are you in that summer rut? Yes you. You know who you are. Shorts, t-shirt, flip flops. Every. Single. Day. Even if that does not exactly describe your style, do you find yourself reaching for the same-ole same ole day in and day out? If so, this post is for you.
All of us occasionally struggle with making the tried and true pieces in our closet look fresh day after day. Good news! There are some simple things that you can do to make even your most well-loved favorites feel current. And the best part is you can do it while spending little or no money.
1) You know that chambray shirt that you love so much? How about that white oxford shirt? Or, for that matter, your favorite, lightweight sweater? Instead of simply pairing these with your usual shorts or skinnies, try popping them over your favorite sundress.
Even if you have worn the same ole dress 100 times this summer, adding a chambray shirt, sweater, or really any kind of blouse over top will trick your friends and/or co-workers into thinking that you have bought a completely new dress! Who knew they would be that easy to fool.
2) Some people (including my best friend) will grimace at this next suggestions: ditch those old flip flops for a more stylish shoe. I know, I know, summer is flip-flop season however the beach is really the most appropriate place for this warm-weather favorite. Though easy and arguably comfortable, flip flops should not enter into the workplace. The fact is trading in your flip flops for an equally comfortable and abundantly cuter option with add instant polish to your outfit.
Instead of grabbing your rubbery flops, give one of these options a try.
I know just the name “Crocs” brings to mind so many negative connotations, but put those thoughts aside and check out these super cute, ultra comfy options from the famed ugly, rubber shoe maker. They have really upped their game! Buy them here at crocs.com
Not on the Crocs bandwagon just yet? That is NO excuse to dig out those dirty flip flops! Here are some more comfortable options!
Keds are not just for your granny anymore! Helloooo even Taylor Swift is wearing them! Buy them on Keds.com.
Sandals are not a no-no. Just make them fabulous pairs like these and you are good to go!
These pedicure-ready sandal options are available at Macy’s and are a sure way to get you out of your flip flop frump (say that five times fast!).
3) Though some people love shorts and relish every chance to wear them, others simply don’t. Whether you are a shorts lover and occasionally need to try something different or you shy away from baring all when it comes to your legs, this tip is for you.
Grab those skinny jeans and just cuff them. Why you may ask. Well, cuffing them both makes them look new and different while simultaneously showing an alluring flash of ankle. Plus, it gives you the chance to show off a great pair of shoes (No flip flops allowed!).
4) This is an obvious tip, but a good one: mix and match. That being said, it is easier for some than others. Oftentimes, we get in the habit of pairing a certain pair of pants with a certain top with the same accessories – time after time after time. Needless to say, this gets old – quick. A good way to change it up is to pre-plan your outfits. Take a few minutes one day and play dress up (who doesn’t love that!). Pair things with those same ole pants that you wouldn’t have thought about before; layer up that go-to shirt in unexpected ways. You might be pleasantly surprised with what you come up with! Now for some inspiration!
The classic, favorite pencil skirt offers endless options.
The chambray shirt pops up again! Look at the countless ways you can mix and match with it!
Pair that navy blazer (that you you always wear with the same pants over and over and over) with something new and fun!
If you are utterly beaten down with the “I have nothing to wear” dilemma, hit up Pintrest for outfit ideas or simply the good, old fashioned Google machine! There are so many resources out there to help you defeat that wardrobe crisis monster!
5) Another good, and yes obvious, tip is to use your accessories. Changing up or adding accessories can really make or break an outfit. As well as make even an old outfit seem totally new. Statement necklaces, bangle stacks, cocktail rings, unexpected shoes, and eye-catching bags can all breathe life into your wardrobe. Here are a few of my favorite accessories as of late.
Gorgeous bubble necklaces! Buy it here.
I hope these tips will help you get out of that summer wardrobe rut, leave those flip flops on the beach, and amp up your warm weather outfits! How do you keep your outfits looking fresh all summer?